Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Museum Trip: Stedelijk Museum (SM's) Den Bosch

Photobucket

Today I went to the Stedelijk Museum (aka SM's) in Den Bosch, with my mum. It was a nice little museum, even though it was cold inside and there was some noise coming from the tubes (heating perhaps?). Anyway, the musuem concentrates mostly on ceramics and jewellery. I went for the exhibition about jewellery by artists, without actually knowing anything about the museum, but in the end I preferred some of the other current temporary exhibitons much over the jewellery one.

Unfortunately we weren't allowed to take pictures, so I can't show you much, but I did get my hands on some flyers and stuff, so I'll try to find some pictures on the internet. So, hereby I admit these (in this peticular blogentry) are not my own photographs, they are all copyright to their respective owners.

I'll tell something very short about every temporary exhitbition.

*Uitgelicht - Peter Voulkos
Lots of ceramics, Voulkos is well known for breaking the so-called habit. He creates ceramic sculptures that exist of piled up elements. The way of how it was made is clearly visible in the endresult, and the sculptures aren't just the result of creation, but also of deformation.

Unfortunately I couldn't find pictures of the artworks I had seen at the museum (or just couldn't be sure they were the same artworks). There was a documentary about the artist, and I sat down to watch it for a while. Unfortunately the sound quality was zero and there were no subtitles, so I couldn't make much of it.

Photobucket

*Collectiepresentatie (collection presentation) - California Dreamin'
More ceramics. Various pieces by various artists:

Photobucket

- Robert Arneson
- David Gilhooly
- Ron Nagle
- Ken Price
Photobucket
- Adrian Saxe

*Wynolt Visser - Kamerinstallatie (chamber installation)
The first of four younr artists who will build a presentation in the SM's. The title of the group exhibition is 'The Nomadic Condition'.
Visser works a lot with textile, prints and 3D. It's a nice combination. I like the use of the face and how material meets shape.

*ONE - Andrei Roiter
Roiter takes a lot of pictures and uses these as point of departure for his paintings. Most of his photographs are of architecture, but these buildings undergo a metamorphoses in his paintings. Elements of the buildings are put in new context against a new background.

Photobucket
Bubble
2007
Acryl and oil paint on canvas

Photobucket
National Dust
2009
Oil paint on canvas

Photobucket
Melting
2009
Oil paint on canvas

In my opinion, though, these aren't the best of his paintings...

*Catherine Yass - The China Series
Yass is always looking for a specific place, where actual situations and a dream of the future are combined.

Photobucket

Photobucket

*Private Passion - de unieke collectie kunstenaarssieraden van het SM's (the unique collection of artist's jewellery of the SM's)

For this exhibition we went into another room. It was dark, and we were given little electrical torches. We had to light our own way through the exhibition. If we had been the only ones in the room this would have been nice, but since there were other people as well, I got blinded several times because people were uncareful with the lights.

Anyway, this is what the exhibtion looks like, only darker:
Photobucket

I saw some very nice jewellery, some even by Alexander Calder, whose work I adore. I was really happy about this. Unfortunately I could only find one picture of what I have seen.
Photobucket

I also saw these:
Photobucket
(Unfortunately I do not know by whom this work of art is)

Photobucket
by Oppenheim

Photobucket
Love ring by Robert Indiana

It was also funny to recognise names like Man Ray and Picasso, I don't think I realised he made some jewellery as well.



In the end, it was nice to have been at the Stedelijk Museum Den Bosch, but I don't know if, had I known what it would be like, I would have visited anyway. I can tell you this, the website is absolutely useless. There barely is any information on it, and the English version of the website is even worse. It doesn't work very well, either. I would have liked to see more information on exhibitions than just a few sentences, and some information about the artists. Some pictures of the artworks displayed would have been nice too, especially since most artists featured in the exhibitions aren't that well known at all.
I wish I could have taken pictures... (without flash of course)

Edit: and damn the tag limit! I can't even squeeze in every artist :(

Edit:

By the way, see what my mum and I both got because we filled out a questionnaire about the museum!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment